Johns Hopkins Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Johns Hopkins is a community committed to sharing values of diversity and inclusion in order to achieve and sustain excellence. We firmly believe that we can best promote excellence by recruiting and retaining a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff and by creating a climate of respect that is supportive of their success. This climate for diversity, inclusion, and excellence is critical to attaining the best research, scholarship, teaching, health care, and other strategic goals of the Health System and the University. Taken together these values are recognized and supported fully by the Johns Hopkins Institutions leadership at all levels. Further, we recognize that the responsibility for excellence, diversity, and inclusion lies with all of us at the Institutions: leadership, administration, faculty, staff, and students. More About JHU's Commitment to Diversity
"Our school is a microcosm of what’s happening in the U.S. We have a broad range of views, cultures, and backgrounds. What we do have in common is the will to work together to make a positive difference for us all, now and in the future."
— Dean Patricia Davidson
School of Nursing
The School of Nursing recruits and retains students, faculty, and staff from diverse social and ethnic populations. Diversity fosters the excellence of academic programs because it is a source of strength, cultural awareness, and creativity that drives the innovation of health care in our local and global communities. School of Nursing community members’ perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences weave a richness into the tapestry of our historic school.
- We believe diversity is critical to attaining the best research, scholarship, teaching, health care, and service.
- We embrace diversity to enhance all of our activities and accomplish the mission of the school.
- We achieve excellence by attracting and retaining talented and diverse leaders, faculty, students, and staff.
- We commit to create an inclusive environment in which diverse opinions and beliefs are a part of and enrich our professional, educational, and personal experiences.
- We recognize that the responsibility for diversity and inclusion lies with all of us.
- Excellence: Strive to do our best and meet the highest standards.
- Respect: Treat all people with dignity, open-mindedness, and esteem.
- Diversity: Appreciate and acknowledge our differences.
- Integrity: Behave ethically, honestly, and fairly.
- Accountability: Take responsibility for our actions.
Along with the values of excellence, accountability, responsibility, and integrity, we embrace diversity to as a way to enhance all of our activities and accomplish the mission of the school. The Johns Hopkins School of Nursing Diversity Committee seeks to:
Understand others' unique strengths and limitations, as well as our own: We take the time to become aware of one another's backgrounds, interests, and assets while actively seeking to understand perspectives different from our own.
Create an inclusive environment: We recognize the value of multiple perspectives and strive to ensure that they are represented in all we do.
Learn and grow by obtaining other points of view: We actively seek to diversify our administration, faculty, staff, and student body to ensure that many different opinions and beliefs are part of and enrich our professional, educational, and personal experiences.