Home / Admissions / International Students

International Students

Need your questions answered?


The School of Nursing takes great pride in being world-renowned for nursing education. Below are answers to common questions concerning international applications to the School of Nursing.  If you would like any additional information you can use the following resources:

You are considered an international applicant if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident (Green Card holder). If you are a citizen of another country (and not a US permanent resident) and attend secondary school in the US, you are also considered an international applicant.

For degrees earned outside the United States (with the exception of English speaking Canada), credits must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES, www.wes.org), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE, www.ece.org), Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS, www.cgfns.org) or SpanTran: The Evaluation Company (TEC) (https://spantran.com/web/) with a course-by-course evaluation.

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of applicants whose native language is not English. For School of Nursing applicants, the minimum TOEFL score is 100 (Internet-based); the IELTS minimum band score is 7. Students may contact the Office of Admissions with questions about a TOEFL/IELTS waiver.  Individual programs may require additional evidence to demonstrate English language proficiency. The TOEFL code for NursingCAS is B506.

U.S. immigration regulations require that students needing an F-1 visa must successfully fulfill all prerequisites before an I-20 can be issued. To allow sufficient time to complete all the steps in the visa process, students must submit to the Office of Admissions an official transcript or official course by course evaluation at least 3 months prior to the beginning of the term in which they wish to begin studies (October for spring term; May for fall term) with final grades of B- or higher for the MSN Entry into Nursing Track.

Learn more about Online Prerequisites for Health Professions at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing by clicking here

All students, regardless of citizenship, are automatically considered for merit based scholarships.  Need based financial aid is reserved for US citizens and permanent residents only.  Students seeking an F-1 or J-1 visa to study in the United States must submit financial documents in English demonstrating proof of funding.

International students may be able to borrow through private education loan programs, however, they must apply with a creditworthy co-borrower who is also a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Supplemental Loans
U.S. Employment Opportunities

Students on F-1 status require sponsorship by an employer to remain in the United States after graduation. Obtaining this sponsorship could be very difficult. International students do have full access to Johns Hopkins School of Nursing resources including the Career Lab and the university-wide Office of International Services (OIS). If staying in the United States after graduation is your goal, please contact the Career Lab.

Employment is not guaranteed for any graduate, regardless of their citizenship. Current immigration laws do have an impact on hiring practices. The Johns Hopkins School of Nursing and the Johns Hopkins Health System are separate entities, and any hiring policies or decisions are independent of the school. If you are interested in working at the Johns Hopkins Health System, please reference their website at https://jobs.hopkinsmedicine.org/jobs/nursing/.  If you are interested in working at other organizations, please reference their Careers/Jobs or Human Resources websites.

Students sponsored by Johns Hopkins for F-1 or J-1 student status must maintain full-time enrollment status. Additionally, immigration regulations require students to be enrolled in classroom instruction. Only one online/distance course may be counted towards the minimum required courses in any term. Due to these restrictions, some degree programs in the School of Nursing do not qualify for F-1 or J-1 student sponsorship.

Johns Hopkins University contracts with both Flywire and Convera to accept payments from international students worldwide. You can easily and securely make education payments in your own currency, using local payment methods from the safety and convenience of your home. Each company offers various payment methods, a wide range of international currency options, competitive exchange rates, and the convenience of paying through a local bank. Presenting a foreign check to the Johns Hopkins University may result in a bank transaction fee that will lower the value of the converted amount. Start the wire transfer process with Flywire or Convera.


 No. 1 in the nation for its Doctor of Nursing Practice Program (DNP)


No. 1 (tied) in the nation for its Nursing Master’s Program (MSN)


No. 3 nursing school in the world, according to 2024 QS World University rankings

Need your questions answered?