Values & Diversity
Our school is a microcosm of what’s happening in the U.S. We have a broad range of views, cultures and backgrounds. What we do have in common is the will to work together to make a positive difference for us all, now and in the future.
- Dean Patricia Davidson
- Excellence: We strive to do our best and meet the highest standards.
- Respect: We treat all people with dignity, open-mindedness, and esteem.
- Diversity: We appreciate and acknowledge our differences.
- Integrity: We behave ethically, honestly, and fairly.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our actions.
Along with the values of excellence, accountability, responsibility, and integrity, we embrace diversity to as a way to enhance all of our activities and accomplish the mission of the school. The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing seeks to:
Understand others' unique strengths and limitations, as well as our own: We take the time to become aware of one another's background, interests, and assets while actively seeking to understand perspectives different from our own.
Create an inclusive environment: We recognize the value of and strive to ensure that multiple perspectives are represented in all we do.
Learn and grow by obtaining other points of view: We actively seek to diversify our administration, faculty, staff, and student body to ensure that many different opinions and beliefs are part of and enrich our professional, educational, and personal experiences.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Johns Hopkins School of Nursing is a community committed to sharing values of diversity and inclusion in order to achieve and sustain excellence.
- We believe diversity is critical to attaining the best research, scholarship, teaching, healthcare, and service.
- We embrace diversity to enhance all of our activities and accomplish the mission of the school.
- We achieve excellence by attracting and retaining talented and diverse leaders, faculty, students, and staff.
- We commit to create an inclusive environment in which diverse opinions and beliefs are a part of and enrich our professional, educational, and personal experiences.
- We recognize that the responsibility for diversity and inclusion lies with all of us.
Diversity at Hopkins
There are resources available for various students, faculty and staff within the Johns Hopkins University community.
- The OUTlist
- LGBTQ Life at Hopkins
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Student Disability Initiative
- Student Groups
- The Hub
- Multi-Faith Calendar (2016 pdf) (2017 pdf)
- Webinar Event: Creating a Welcoming Environment for Sexual and Gender Minority Students