We look forward to welcoming you to the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing community during your upcoming orientation. It has been a pleasure working with you during the application process and we are excited to assist you in your transition from an accepted student to Hopkins student!
ONsite Orientation Dates
SPRING 2020 - MSN: ENTRY INTO NURSING PROGRAM ORIENTATION
- Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - 8:30 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
- Thursday, January 9, 2020 - 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. (White Coat Ceremony at 4:00 P.M.) - Webcast Link for White Coat Ceremony
- Friday, January 10, 2020 - 11:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M. (Optional Events)
summer 2020 - CRNA Orientation
- Monday, May 11, 2020 - 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
summer 2020 - executive dnp orientation and 1st immersion
- Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - Friday, May 15, 2020
- We are offering a group rate for your hotel stay at the Marriott Residence Inn at the Johns Hopkins Medical Campus. Click the link below to access the rate of $149/night. You may book your reservation from May 12 - May 17.
- Marriott Residence Inn Group Rate Booking Link
- The last day to book at this rate is May 1, 2020
summer 2020 - msn/mph Orientation
- Monday, June 29, 2020 -Tuesday, June 30, 2020 (Please note: Events on Monday will be held at the School of Public Health and events on Tuesday will be held at the School of Nursing)
FALL 2020 - MSN: ENTRY INTO NURSING PROGRAM ORIENTATION
- Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. (White Coat Ceremony at 4:00 P.M.)
- Friday, August 28, 2020 - 8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
fall 2020 - Phd ORIENTATION
- Friday, August 28, 2020 - 8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Distance Orientation ( There is not an onsite orientation program For the programs listed in this section)
Programs: dnp Advanded Practice, Post-Degree Certificates, MSN Public Health Nursing and MSN Health systems Management
Distance Orientation is available to all distance students in BlackBoard. You will be enrolled in the orientation following your deposit when you have your JHED ID and Hopkins email account set up.
To access the orientation please follow these steps:
- Go to: https://blackboard.jhu.edu/webapps/login/
- Login using your JHED ID
- Click on the Community Tab at the top of the page
- Choose Graduate Distance Orientation under My Organizations
- Please navigate through all of the sections in the left navigation bar and do not forget to submit the evaluation form at the end!
If you have any issues accessing any of the content in the orientation please let us know by emailing SON-StudentAffairs@jhu.edu.
EAST BALTIMORE CAMPUS MAP
The Johns Hopkins East Baltimore campus includes the School of Nursing, School of Public Health, School of Medicine, and the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Refer to the JHMI Map for parking and building locations.
Making the Transition
Compliance Requirements (click to download)
All enrolled degree/certificate-seeking students must register and complete a background check, drug screening, certifications, and required vaccines and medical tests. The School of Nursing has contracted with CastleBranch to track and approve these compliance requirements. It is your responsibility to maintain, renew, and update each requirement by the expiration date and to keep copies for your personal records.
- If you have been admitted for the Fall semester, please wait until May 1st to begin the compliance process. The compliance due date is July 22nd.
- If you have been admitted for the Spring semester, please wait until October 1st to begin the compliance process. The compliance due date is December 15th.
- If you have been admitted for the Summer semester, please wait until March 1st to begin the compliance process. The compliance due date is May 1st.
Follow these instructions to purchase the correct package from CastleBranch:
- Visit jhu.castlebranch.com/JO78/package-selection
- “Please Select” the appropriate degree and package. (If you aren’t sure which to select, contact Student Affairs at the number below.)
- Continue your order with CastleBranch and fill in all information to complete order. If you have your JHU email, please use it when registering. If you do not have access to your JHU email when you are registering, please use a personal email that you check frequently.
No further action is required for the background check. Instructions for your drug screening will be emailed to you by CastleBranch once you have place your order.
Your CastleBranch account will also list the required medical documentation for compliance. Upload a scanned copy or image of your documentation to each appropriate requirement. All medical documents must be submitted and approved through CastleBranch. Do not submit any documents directly to the School of Nursing.
If you are having technical issues with CastleBranch, please contact their service desk at 888-723-4263 x7196.
Students have access to over 100 computers throughout our buildings. Additionally, the school requires students to own a laptop for use at home or while in the building. If you already own a computer that you wish to use for school work, ideally it should be no older than three years old with sufficient processing power and memory to run current versions of Microsoft Office, and possibly more demanding applications such as statistical software and Second Life. Computer Recommendations
Dosage Calculation/Terminology/APA Style
Includes information on dosage calculation book and practice problems; this is for your information and does not have to be turned in. Dosage Calculation. Please note that either the 7th or 8th edition of Henke's Med Math Dosage Calculation, Preparation and Administration is acceptable for the Foundations of Nursing class. Any new or important material in the 8th edition will be covered in class.
Includes useful terminology used throughout the program. B.U.R.P.S./Talk Like a Nurse
Equipment, Uniforms & Books
The following items are required for all Master of Science in Nursing, Entry into Practice students:
- Watch with a second hand
- Stethoscope (Littman Classic II or III recommended)
- Aneroid blood pressure cuff (Adult size)
- Pen Light
You have two options for purchasing JHSON uniforms. You will not need to purchase a lab coat if you are in the MSN Entry into Nursing Program. If you need a lab coat in any other program, you will be informed by your clinical instructor or preceptor. Most advanced practice sites will require that you wear a Johns Hopkins School of Nursing lab coat with name pin. Additional information is available in the Handbook and Catalog.
Since 1927, The Women’s Board has contributed millions of dollars to the Johns Hopkins Hospital in support of medical technology and clinical care. Annual grants to clinical departments and scholarships to The School of Medicine and to The School of Nursing are funded through monies raised by our businesses, Carry On Shop, Gift Shops and Grand Grounds coffee bars, as well as fundraisers such as the Best Dressed Sales and the Golf Classic. A percentage of each uniform sale will go directly to the Women’s Board to help fund their scholarships and grants.
Approximately one month before the beginning of your program, your book list should be available on the Matthews Book Center website, where you can search by semester. Your can purchase your textbooks from any vendor. First semester Master's Entry into Nursing Practice students should also receive this information by email before the start of the program.
All students must maintain adequate health insurance coverage. Students may purchase the student health plan (SHP). We are currently updating the student health insurance enrollment and waiver process. We will e-mail student instructions and new website in August.
Visit the SON Housing Page for information on finding the perfect neighborhood and dwelling in Baltimore to meet your needs as a nursing student!
If you are anticipating student financial aid or loans to cover your living expenses, it is important to keep the green BankMobile envelope. It contains your Personal Code--the key to unlocking your refund preference. The code will be mailed to your address you registered with the School of Nursing.
- Summer-entry: First week of March
- Fall-entry: First week of June
- Spring-entry: First week of November
If you have any questions about the Student Refund Process, contact Student Accounts at SONStudentAccounts@jhu.edu.
Registration for MSN Advanced Nursing Practice Students
For questions regarding advising and registration, please contact Terica Prater, Program Administrator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students must submit official transcripts verifying the completion of courses and/or the awarding of a final degree if you completed courses after your acceptance.
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
Office of Admissions
525 North Wolfe Street
Student House 100
Baltimore, MD 21205