We look forward to welcoming you to the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing community during your upcoming orientation. It has been a pleasure working with you during the application process and we are excited to assist you in your transition from an accepted student to Hopkins student!
Orientation Dates summer 2021
- Wednesday, May 26 - Friday, May 28, 2021 with additional events occurring throughout the week. More information will be provided in the coming months.
DNP/MBA and DNP/mph
- Both of these dual degree programs will be invited to join the DNP Executive orientation program in May 2022. There will be an opportunity to join a DNP forum this spring to meet classmates and learn more about the program and student services.
DNP Nurse Anesthesia
- Events will occur the week of May 24, 2021. Details to be provided in the coming months.
Orientation Dates Fall 2021
MSn: Entry into Nursing Program
- Thursday, August 26 - 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Synchronous Orientation - In person at the JHSON - Agenda coming soon!
- Thursday, August 26 - 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. White Coat Ceremony (The ceremony will be students only in person. We will be sharing a live stream link for friends and family to join virtually the week of July 26, 2021)
- Friday, August 27 - 11:00 p.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Optional events (more information to come!)
- MSN Entry into Nursing students will also be enrolled in a BlackBoard based orientation in Summer 2021. Look out for an email with information on how to access this extensive resource.
DNP Advanced Practice Program
- Tuesday, August 24 - Synchronous Virtual Orientation
- DNP students will also be enrolled in a BlackBoard based orientation by April 2021. Look out for an email with information on how to access this extensive resource.
- Friday, August 27 - Synchronous Orientation
- PhD students will also be enrolled in a BlackBoard based orientation in Summer 2021. Look out for an email with information on how to access this extensive resource.
Students in this dual program should attend both the DNP AP synchronous orientation as well as the PhD orientation program.
Orientation for All other Fully Distance Programs
Programs: Post-Degree Certificates and MSN HealthCare organizational leadership
To access the orientation please follow these steps:
- Go to: https://blackboard.jhu.edu/webapps/login/
- Login using your JHED ID
- Click on the Community Tab at the top of the page
- Choose Graduate Distance Orientation under My Organizations
- Please navigate through all of the sections in the left navigation bar and do not forget to submit the evaluation form at the end!
If you have any issues accessing any of the content in the orientation please let us know by emailing SON-StudentAffairs@jhu.edu.
Virtual Event Links
Events will be posted following their dates!
Approximately one month before the beginning of your program, your book list should be available on the Matthews Book Center website, where you can search by semester. If your books are not listed contact SON-AcademicAffairs@jhu.edu.
EAST BALTIMORE CAMPUS MAP
The Johns Hopkins East Baltimore campus includes the School of Nursing, School of Public Health, School of Medicine, and the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Refer to the JHMI Map for parking and building locations.
Making the Transition
- Compliance Requirements for All Enrolled Degree Seeking StudentsPre-Enrollment Compliance Requirements (click to download)
All enrolled degree/certificate-seeking students must register and complete a background check, drug screening, certifications, and required vaccines and medical tests. The School of Nursing has contracted with CastleBranch to track and approve these compliance requirements. It is your responsibility to maintain, renew, and update each requirement by the expiration date and to keep copies for your personal records.
- If you have been admitted for the Fall semester, please wait until May 1st to begin the compliance process. The compliance due date is July 22nd.
- If you have been admitted for the Spring semester, please wait until October 15th to begin the compliance process. The compliance due date is December 15th.
- If you have been admitted for the Summer semester, please wait until March 1st to begin the compliance process. The compliance due date is May 1st.
Follow these instructions to purchase the correct package from CastleBranch:
- Visit jhu.castlebranch.com/JO78/package-selection
- “Please Select” the appropriate degree and package. (If you aren’t sure which to select, contact Student Affairs at the number below.)
- Continue your order with CastleBranch and fill in all information to complete order. If you have your JHU email, please use it when registering. If you do not have access to your JHU email when you are registering, please use a personal email that you check frequently.
No further action is required for the background check*. Instructions for your drug screening will be emailed to you by CastleBranch once you have placed your order.
*If you have not had a continuous US residence for the last 7 years, you will be required to purchase an additional international background check for any country that you resided in during this time. If you will not be in the US within sufficient time to complete the drug screening prior to the compliance deadline, you will also be required to purchase an international drug screening. The cost for both of these items varies depending on your country of residence and can be substantial. If you have any questions about this process please contact SON-StudentAffairs@jhu.edu.
Your CastleBranch account will also list the required medical documentation for compliance. Upload a scanned copy or image of your documentation to each appropriate requirement. All medical documents must be submitted and approved through CastleBranch. Do not submit any documents directly to the School of Nursing.
If you are having technical issues with CastleBranch, please contact their service desk at 888-723-4263 x7196.
- Computer Recommendations for All StudentsStudents have access to over 100 computers throughout our buildings. Additionally, the school requires students to own a laptop for use at home or while in the building. If you already own a computer that you wish to use for school work, ideally it should be no older than three years old with sufficient processing power and memory to run current versions of Microsoft Office, and possibly more demanding applications such as statistical software and Second Life. Computer Recommendations
- Dosage Calculation/Terminology for MSN Entry into Nursing Students Only
The link above Includes information on the dosage calculation book and practice problems. This is for your information only and is not a graded assignment. Please note that the 9th edition of Henke's Med Math Dosage Calculation, Preparation and Administration is preferred for the Foundations of Nursing class, but the 8th edition is also acceptable.
The link above includes useful terminology that can be used throughout your program.
- Equipment & UniformsThe following items are required for all Master of Science in Nursing, Entry into Practice students:
- Watch with a second hand
- Stethoscope (Littman Classic II or III recommended)
- Aneroid blood pressure cuff (Adult size)
- Pen Light
You have options for purchasing JHSON uniforms. You will not need to purchase a lab coat if you are in the MSN Entry into Nursing Program. If you need a lab coat in any other program, you will be informed by your clinical instructor or preceptor. Most advanced practice sites will require that you wear a Johns Hopkins School of Nursing lab coat. If you are required to purchase a coat you may do so from one of the vendors below. Additional information is available in the Catalogue.
MSN, Entry into Nursing students will need white and navy scrub tops and navy scrub pants. These can be purchased through the vendors below.
PLEASE NOTE: We are in the process of updating our uniform patch. Students entering in 2021 can wear scrubs with either patch during their time in the program.
- Matthews Book Center – Pricing/Ordering
- Scrubin Uniforms - jhu.scrubin.com, Access Code: jhu410
- Women’s Board – Pricing/Ordering
Since 1927, The Women’s Board has contributed millions of dollars to the Johns Hopkins Hospital in support of medical technology and clinical care. Annual grants to clinical departments and scholarships to The School of Medicine and to The School of Nursing are funded through monies raised by our businesses, Carry On Shop, Gift Shops and Grand Grounds coffee bars, as well as fundraisers such as the Best Dressed Sales and the Golf Classic. A percentage of each uniform sale will go directly to the Women’s Board to help fund their scholarships and grants.
- Health Insurance for All Enrolled StudentsAll students must maintain adequate health insurance coverage. Students may purchase the student health plan (SHP). We are currently updating the student health insurance enrollment and waiver process. We will e-mail student instructions and new website in August.
- HousingVisit the SON Housing Page for information on finding the perfect neighborhood and dwelling in Baltimore to meet your needs as a nursing student!
If you are anticipating student financial aid or loans to cover your living expenses, it is important to keep the green BankMobile envelope. It contains your Personal Code--the key to unlocking your refund preference. The code will be mailed to your address you registered with the School of Nursing.
- Summer-entry: First week of March
- Fall-entry: First week of June
- Spring-entry: First week of November
If you have any questions about the Student Refund Process, contact Student Accounts at SONStudentAccounts@jhu.edu.
- Registration for DNP Advanced Nursing Practice Students (MSN Entry into Nursing Students will be Pre-registered for Semester 1)For questions regarding advising and registration, please contact Terica Prater, Program Administrator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TranscriptsStudents must submit official transcripts verifying the completion of courses and/or the awarding of a final degree if you completed courses after your acceptance.
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
Office of Admissions
525 North Wolfe Street
Student House 100
Baltimore, MD 21205
- Transfer of Graduate Credit from Previous InstitutionsYou may link to our Transfer of Credit policy here: https://e-catalogue.jhu.edu/nursing/policies/transfer-graduate-credit/.