All prerequisite courses are available online in the summer, fall, and spring semesters.
First-time prerequisite students will need to complete an application in our Slate system to be able to have an account set-up in our student information system. If you are a returning student and haven’t taken coursework in the last six months, you will also need to submit the prerequisite online application form. Once your account is set-up, you will receive an email within 48 hours which will provide you with a JHED ID and allow you to register for the open prerequisite courses.
There are a few steps to set-up an account and complete the application process – this should take about 10 minutes to complete. Remember your Username and Password so you will be able to work on your non-degree application, save it, and return to finish it at a later time by logging back in at your convenience.
For a helpful overview please take a look at our video guide.
(The application you will be completing is used for our Non-Degree seeking program/courses. You will need to select Online Prerequisites for Health Professions in the Designation Dropdown to display the appropriate application.)
If you are a returning student or previously held a JHED ID, you will register through the Johns Hopkins University Student Information System.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions by either emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 410-955-7548.
Note - If you are applying for a JHSON degree or certificate program, go to here.
Prerequisites Eventsview all events
Learn More about Online Prerequisites
- Why Prerequisites at Hopkins?
- Top-ranked Nursing School
- An introduction to the excellence of a Johns Hopkins education
- Health-focused perspective delivered through a facilitated teaching approach (participatory, interactive, engaging)
- Instructor led, online convenience
- 11-week format
- What are the Prerequisites for Nursing?
Every nursing school has entrance requirements that are a little different, but for the most part, prerequisites for nursing school are similar. Here are prerequisites offered at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing:
- Human Growth and Development Through the Lifespan
- Microbiology with Lab *
- Anatomy with Lab *
- Physiology with Lab *
- Chemistry with Lab * §
- Biochemistry with Lab * §
* Virtual labs are accepted at Hopkins Nursing, but not everywhere. Check your university and state licensure requirements for prerequisite courses.
* § Offered but not required for the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing MSN Entry into Nursing program.
- Are these prerequisite courses appropriate for health professions other than nursing?
The short answer is yes! Prospective students pursuing any discipline in need of supplemental coursework can now take instructor-led, undergraduate-level prerequisites all online at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. Always speak directly with the program/school at which you are applying to confirm, but our courses are designed to align with requirements for other health programs like:
- Occupational Therapy (OT)
- Physical Therapy (PT)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Recorded Events and Informational Videos
- Textbook InformationFor further information regarding required materials for all courses, please visit the Prerequisite Textbook Information page.