This fund has been made possible through gifts from Natalie and Wes Bush, Karen Combs and a bequest from Gertrude R. Bengtson.
This fund supports Johns Hopkins School of Nursing (JHSON) pre doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty research projects that fuel discovery and innovation. This fund will be made available annually through the JHSON.
Year 1 Grant Amounts:
- 1 Faculty Grant: Up to $20,000
- 2 Faculty Grants: Up to $10,000
- Pre-doctoral or Post-doctoral Grants: Up to $2000 per award ($20,000 total funds)
- Applicants must inform the JHSON of an interest by applying through the JHSON Intent to submit portal.
- Applicants will be notified about the committee’s decision 1 month after the date of submission. The start and end date will be included in the notification of the award.
- Applications should be submitted through the JHSON portal and closes at 11.59pm on January 31 each year.
- Application page limit is 3 pages (excluding references), to include 1 page specific aims. The application should include a description of (a) how the research you propose will fuel discovery and innovation in the fields of science and/or practice; (b) the expected outcomes of the proposed work and why this research is innovative. (c) the next steps and/or how this funding will lead to a larger grant submission.
- Submit a 1 page itemized Budget and budget justification along with your application. Indirect cost should not be included in the budget.
- Submit a 1 page outline of specific milestones and a timeline of the project showing each milestone. This can be in the form of a chart or a paragraph.
- Submit biosketches for each team member, including the principal investigator.
- Applications must have a letter of support from a JHSON faculty mentor and executive vice dean (faculty) or advisor (students).
- Applicants must be a student enrolled in the JHSON, a postdoctoral fellow or faculty holding a primary appointment in the JHSON.
- IRB approval is required for HSR projects.
- Travel expenses are not permitted unless specifically related to the project implementation.
- Funding will be for 1 year only. No cost extensions will not be granted.
- Funds may not be used for faculty salary.
- Subcontracts will not be permitted.
- The review process will evaluate the academic and/or the research potential of the applicant.
- The creativity and originality of the project and the academic impact of the work will also be considered.
- The level to which the research being proposed will fuel discovery and/or innovation.
- The feasibility of completing the project within 12 months.
- Whether or not the next steps are described clearly and/or how this funding will lead to a larger grant submission.
- Proposals will be reviewed by a panel of distinguished faculty from across the institution and the donors.
- The review panel will also include a JHSON PhD student in the process of writing up their dissertation, and a post-doctoral fellow.
- Funds must be acknowledged in all abstracts, publications, and presentations.
- Progress Reports should be submitted annually.
- A final progress report should be submitted within 1 month after the end of the funding period.