Working with our students
Preceptors collaborate with Hopkins track coordinators and clinical faculty to provide graduate nursing students with enriched experiences linking educational knowledge and clinical practice. Preceptors for graduate nursing students are needed for advanced practice in clinical settings across the life span. With increasing complexity of patients and increasing need for access to care, our students are motivated to work with preceptors to apply their knowledge to reach competencies in the clinical setting.
See and hear what our students say about their preceptors - watch another video
Benefits of Becoming a Preceptor
Precepting is a responsibility and can require careful balancing of time and effort in a busy practice, but it also brings benefits. Many preceptors remember that special preceptor who guided them in their clinical growth while a student. This offers an opportunity to be that exceptional preceptor who makes a difference in the education of a future advanced practice nurse.
Additional benefits include:
- Credit for precepting hours for AANC and AANP certification
- Online access to Welch library, a central resource shared by the schools on the Johns Hopkins Medical campus
- Opportunity for adjunct faculty status after two semesters of precepting
- Invitation to the annual preceptor appreciation event
- Continuing education offerings
- Opportunity to be a guest lecturer at the School of Nursing in an area of your expertise
- Opportunity to work with a doctoral student on a quality improvement project in the your clinical setting
- Invitation to collaborate with other preceptors on the Johns Hopkins Preceptor Facebook page
- Potential to qualify for Maryland preceptor tax credit program
PLEASE VISIT OUR GUIDEBOOK: Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing Nurse Practitioner Programs Preceptor Guidebook
If you would like to precept or want to learn more, please contact us.
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- American Nurses Association
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- ANCC American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Income tax credit for preceptors: https://pophealth.health.maryland.gov/Pages/taxcredit.aspx
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties Preceptor Portal
- PNCB Pediatric Nursing Certification Board