- $350 per credit
Total: $1,050 per 3 credit course
The Nutrition course will cover the science and fundamentals of human nutrition. Topics covered include nutritional requirements related to changing individual and family needs, food choices, health
behaviors, food safety, prevention of chronic disease and nutrition-related public health in the United States and globally. (3 credits)
SAMPLE Course Syllabus (pdf download)
Note: This is a SAMPLE course syllabus and does not necessarily reflect the most recent version of the course syllabus. Do not order the textbook found on this sample syllabus. For further information regarding materials for this course, please visit the Prerequisite Textbook Information page
- Know the six classes of nutrients and explain their role as it relates to promoting optimal health, information on food labels, and the accuracy of statements made in popular media about nutrition.
- Relate the importance of good nutrition to different stages in human development and the promotion of a healthy lifestyle.
- Determine, compare and contrast the nutritional value of current eating habits to current recommendations and propose modifications to reduce the risk for developing chronic diseases.
- Identify strategies to eating a healthy diet in different cultural and environmental settings.
For further information regarding materials for this course, please visit the Prerequisite Textbook
Prerequisites Eventsview all events
Learn More about Online Prerequisites
- Why Prerequisites at Hopkins?
- Top-ranked Nursing School
- An introduction to the excellence of a Johns Hopkins education
- Health-focused perspective delivered through a facilitated teaching approach (participatory, interactive, engaging)
- Instructor led, online convenience
- 11-week format
- What are the Prerequisites for Nursing?
Every nursing school has entrance requirements that are a little different, but for the most part, prerequisites for nursing school are similar. Here are prerequisites offered at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing:
- Human Growth and Development Through the Lifespan
- Microbiology with Lab *
- Anatomy with Lab *
- Physiology with Lab *
- Chemistry with Lab * §
- Biochemistry with Lab * §
* Virtual labs are accepted at Hopkins Nursing, but not everywhere. Check your university and state licensure requirements for prerequisite courses.
* § Offered but not required for the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing MSN Entry into Nursing program.
- Are these prerequisite courses appropriate for health professions other than nursing?
The short answer is yes! Prospective students pursuing any discipline in need of supplemental coursework can now take instructor-led, undergraduate-level prerequisites all online at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. Always speak directly with the program/school at which you are applying to confirm, but our courses are designed to align with requirements for other health programs like:
- Occupational Therapy (OT)
- Physical Therapy (PT)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Recorded Events and Informational Videos
- Textbook InformationFor further information regarding required materials for all courses, please visit the Prerequisite Textbook Information page.