Take the Lead
Earn your Post-Master’s Certificate in Healthcare Organizational Leadership and prepare for nursing leadership positions like nurse manager, director of patient care services, and chief nursing officer. Learn to manage health systems that touch a variety of populations across the care continuum.
Learn to affect change at the health care system and corporate levels, and prepare for career advancement without your career missing a beat. Coursework for an online Post-Master's Certificate Healthcare Organizational Leadership fits your schedule, and preceptors near you provide hands-on instruction in nurse leadership.
Next Steps & CertificationUpon completion, students will be eligible to apply for the DNP Executive Track. Students will also be able to apply for certification as a nurse executive through the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Organization of Nurse Leaders.
Take the next step in nurse leadership. Prospective students with an entry level master’s degree in nursing or a non-specialty MSN degree (e.g., nursing education) can apply for the Post-Master’s Certificate in Healthcare Organizational Leadership. Prospective students with current leadership experience in nursing or non-health care settings are preferred.
Grounded in evidence-based practice, students who pursue this part-time online post-master's certificate in nursing will earn 16-credits and 504 clinical hours. Students can complete clinicals in diverse settings, including hospitals, community or public health agencies, school systems, and correctional facilities. Students who choose to continue their nursing education at JHU can apply the two-credit health finance course to the DNP Executive Track.
Upon completion of the Post-Master’s Certificate in Healthcare Organizational Leadership, the graduate is prepared to:
- Apply leadership and management skills to improve services in a variety of health care systems
- Analyze the influences of social and health policy on health care delivery and clinical practice
- Apply for the DNP Executive Track without needing to earn an advanced practice nursing license
View the recording of the Healthcare Organizational Leadership tracks virtual information session.
Priority Application Deadlines
Speak with an admissions officer to learn more about our program.
Additional Program Options
Learn more about our DNP Executive and DNP Executive/MBA programs.
- Master of Science in Nursing Degree from an ACEN or CCNE accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a comparable foreign institution
- Scholastic GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Official Transcripts (from all post-secondary schools)
- Three letters of recommendation (both academic and professional references; check FAQs for detailed guidance on completing this requirement)
- Goal Statement
- Current Resume /CV (check FAQs for detailed guidance on completing this requirement)
- Interview with faculty (if moved forward by admissions committee)
- Applicants must submit evidence of current nursing license from an authorized state.
- TOEFL or IELTS if English is not your native language
Information for applicants with international education
PrerequisitesNo prerequisite courses.
STATE-SPECIFIC INFORMATION FOR ONLINE PROGRAMSStudents currently cannot conduct clinical activities in Louisiana. For more information, please contact an admissions representative. Students should be aware of additional state-specific information for online programs.
STUDENT SPONSORSHIPThis program does not qualify for F-1 or J-1 student sponsorship. Legal Permanent Residents and non-immigrants who are otherwise physically present in the U.S. and in a status that allows for full or part-time study, may pursue this program.
The 16-credit program is comprised of six courses chosen from the list below. Faculty advise students regarding their individual program plan.
Leadership and Organizational Culture: Theories and Practice in Contemporary Healthcare (3 cr)
Healthcare Organizational Leadership Practicum I (2 cr, 112 cl)
Health Finance (2 cr)
Healthcare Organizational Leadership Practicum II (3 cr, 168 cl)
Healthcare economics for management and practice (2 cr)
Healthcare Organizational Leadership Practicum III (4 cr, 224 cl)
Current students in the PMC Healthcare Organizational Leadership program can find information about their program in the academic catalogue.
Tuition & Other Costs
View the costs for the Post-Master’s Certificate in Healthcare Organizational Leadership.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should I ask to complete my letters of recommendation?
- At least one letter should come from a recent or current direct supervisor/manager (the person who is responsible for your performance evaluation)
- At least one letter should come from an academic faculty member who can speak to your ability to successfully complete a demanding graduate level academic and clinical program.
- The third letter can come from a second academic faculty member or an individual in a leadership position who can speak to your clinical abilities.
- Personal references from colleagues, friends, or family members do not meet the requirement.
- If you are unable to provide one of the reference letters above, please upload a statement of explanation to your application.
What information should I include in my resume/CV?Please include the following information in your resume or CV:
- Work experience (include dates, sites and locations; paid and unpaid; any residency participation)
- Education Background
- Scholarly activities (research, presentations, publications, honors, awards)
- Professional activities (leadership, certifications, professional organization membership, service on committees)
- Community Service/Volunteerism