Following in the wake of the royal wedding's millinery glory, 40 alumni from the Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Nursing and Church Home and Hospital donned their finest hats for the second annual Alumni Spring Tea on May 5.
For alumni from the CHH School of Nursing, afternoon tea is a tradition. As students, they hosted a monthly gathering for doctors, faculty, and administrators from the hospital and in their long-sleeved uniforms served them tea using silver and china. This time around, alumni wore hats and enjoyed shrimp salad and scones with their tea.
Phoebe Letocha, Collections Management Archivist at the Johns Hopkins Medical Archives, presented on the history of the Hopkins and CHH schools of nursing and shared pictures and artifacts of nursing through the years. She introduced the alumni to the collections available online and answered questions about how to access information in the archives.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (JHH) and the nursing training program both opened in 1889. After turning out generations of exceptional nurses, in 1983 the School of Nursing was established as the eighth division of the Johns Hopkins University--and opened its doors to students in 1984.
Church Home and Hospital's relationship with Hopkins dates back to 1904, when it was established in East Baltimore two blocks away from JHH. After educating nurses for seven decades, the CHH School of Nursing closed in 1976. In the early 80s, when the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing was forming as a division of the university, CHH donated $100,000 to support it. Then, in 1999, CHH shut its doors. In 2005, the CHH School of Nursing Alumnae Association joined the Johns Hopkins Nurses' Alumni Association.
For more information about next year's Spring Tea and other alumni events, contact the Office of Development and Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.