Honor Society of Nursing
Nu Beta is a chartered chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), Honor Society of Nursing, and was established at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing in 1992. The purposes of Sigma Theta Tau are to recognize superior achievement and the development of leadership capabilities, foster high professional standards, encourage creative work, and strengthen commitment to the ideals and purposes of the profession of nursing.
Through its members, the honor society strives to improve the health of the world's people.
Sigma Theta Tau was founded in 1922 by six nursing students at Indiana University. In 1936, Sigma Theta Tau became the first organization in the United States to fund nursing research. The society was incorporated in 1985 as Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc., to support and connect the global community of nursing scholars who enhance healthcare worldwide. More than 300,000 nurse scholars have been inducted into Sigma Theta Tau. It is the second largest nursing organization in the world. Members are active in more than 90 countries and territories, and the 424 chapters are located in 523 college and university campuses in the United States and countries including Canada, Hong Kong, Pakistan, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan, the Netherlands, and Brazil. Membership is by invitation to baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship and to nurse leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing.
Students are invited to join through STTI chapters located at more than 650 colleges and universities around the world. Nursing professionals not previously inducted as nursing students can also join STTI as a Nurse Leader.
Cost & Criteria
Induction into the honor society occurs yearly. Eligibility requirements are established by Sigma Theta Tau International.
- President – Dr. Diana Baptiste
- President-Elect – Dr. Vincya Pandian
- Vice President – Michelle Patch
- Treasurer – Reiko Asano
- Secretary – Maren Reinholdt (Interim)
- Research Chair- Dr. Janiece Walker
- Membership Ambassador – Dr. Michael Sanchez
- Philanthropy Chair – Dr. Bryan Hansen
- Newsletter/Publicity Chair – Joycelyne Cudjoe
- Convention Delegate 1 – Nicole Johnson
- Convention Delegate 2 – Dr. Audra Rankin
- Governance and Leadership Committee members: Franciose Mbaka, Ruth-Alma Turkson, Madeleine Whalen, Kelly Gleason, Tamar Rodney, Maren Reinholdt