Honor Society of Nursing
Nu Beta is a chartered chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), Honor Society of Nursing, and was established at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing in 1992. The purposes of Sigma Theta Tau are to recognize superior achievement and the development of leadership capabilities, foster high professional standards, encourage creative work, and strengthen commitment to the ideals and purposes of the profession of nursing.
Through its members, the honor society strives to improve the health of the world's people.
Sigma Theta Tau was founded in 1922 by six nursing students at Indiana University. In 1936, Sigma Theta Tau became the first organization in the United States to fund nursing research. The society was incorporated in 1985 as Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc., to support and connect the global community of nursing scholars who enhance healthcare worldwide. More than 300,000 nurse scholars have been inducted into Sigma Theta Tau. It is the second largest nursing organization in the world. Members are active in more than 90 countries and territories, and the 424 chapters are located in 523 college and university campuses in the United States and countries including Canada, Hong Kong, Pakistan, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan, the Netherlands, and Brazil. Membership is by invitation to baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship and to nurse leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing.
Students are invited to join through STTI chapters located at more than 650 colleges and universities around the world. Nursing professionals not previously inducted as nursing students can also join STTI as a Nurse Leader.
Cost & Criteria
Induction into the honor society occurs yearly. Eligibility requirements are established by Sigma Theta Tau International.
Congratulations to Minhui Liu, a postdoctoral fellow in the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, who has received funding for a pilot randomized controlled trial. The study will be built upon the multi-component fall prevention program for older adults—LIVE-LiFE—developed by Dr. Sarah Szanton. Through the new study, student nurses will be trained to deliver the intervention and test it in community-dwelling older adults in China, where evidence-based fall prevention programs and professional interventionists are lacking.
- Immediate Past President – Diana Baptiste
- President – Two year Term (2019-2021) Vinciya Pandian
- Vice President for Academia – Two year Term (2019-2021) Kenneth Dion
- Vice President for Practice – Two year Term (2019-2021) Miki Goodwin
- Treasurer – Two year Term (2019-2021) Reiko Asano
- Secretary – One year Term (2019-2020) Andal Mayilvaganan
- Counselor – Academia, Two year Term (2019-2021) Gloria Ramsey
- Counselor – Academia, Two year Term (2019-2020) Cynthia Carbo
- Counselor – Practice, Two year Term (2019-2021)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital- Deborah Baker
- JH Bayview- Rona Corral
- JH Howard County General Hospital –Nancy Smith
- JH Suburban Hospital-LeighAnn Sidone
- JH Sibley Memorial Hospital- Laura Hendricks Jackson
- JH All Children’s Hospital- Melissa Macogay
- Leadership Succession Committee – 1 – One year Term (2019-2020)- Jesus “Jessie” Casida
- Leadership Succession Committee/Chair – 2 – Two year Term (2019-2021)- Susan Giscombe
- Leadership Succession Committee – 3 – Two year Term (2019-2021)- Tamar Rodney
- Governance Committee – 1 – One year Term (2019-2020)- Ruth-Alma Turkson- Okran, Eyerusalem Hagos
- Governance Committee – 2 – One year Term (2019-2020) – Nancy Goldstein
- Governance Committee – 3 – Two year Term (2019-2021)- Elizabeth Harlow Hassan
- Convention Delegate 1: Martha Awoke
- Convention Delegate 2: Diana Baptiste
- Philanthropy Chair: Bryan Hansen
- Membership Involvement Chairs: Michael Sanchez, Deborah Baker
- Membership Involvement Committee Members: Diana Baptiste, Miki Goodwin
- Membership Ambassador- Maren Reinholdt
- Research Chair- Janiece Taylor
- Research Committee: Ethenia Whye and Susan Wiley (OSI)
- Awards Committee: (International Awards) Adam Beaman, Diana Baptiste, Susan Giscombe, Martha Awoke, Kenneth Dion
- Publicity/Newsletter Chair: Diana Baptiste
- Publicity/Newsletter Committee Members:
- JH Pulse Blog and SON Vitals: Sydnee Logan
- Nu Beta Newsletter: Joycelyn Cudjoe, Sarah Boisen, Jennifer Milesky
- Social Media: Diana Baptiste
- Publicity/Newsletter Committee Members: