In the News
- Here's how university health centers are 'adopting' households to fight health disparities, USA Today, March 28, 2022
- Johns Hopkins program saves money, BollyInside News, February 15, 2022
- There’s no Place like Home. That is also true for Healthcare, Managed Healthcare Executive, February 2022
- Wellness design can fix California’s most pressing problems. Here’s how it would work, San Diego Union-Tribune, January 26, 2022
- CAPABLE: Supporting Older People with Disabilities to Improve Health and Well-Being at Home, The Playbook, December 9, 2021
- AARP Promoting Choices through Restorative Services: International Innovations, December 2021
- COVID-19 Exposed the Faults in America’s Elder Care System. This Is Our Best Shot to Fix Them, TIME, June 15, 2021
- Maryland Philanthropy Network Summit, Program Resources for Beyond the Pandemic - Models for Aging in the Community, June 15, 2021
- National program helping seniors live independently at home, SCRIPPS National Broadcast, June 9, 2021
- Many Older Adults Lack Even Simple, Helpful Equipment, New York Times, April 23, 2021
- Time to Rethink Nursing Homes, JAMA Health Forum February 2021
- Pandemic Is a Tragedy, and a Chance to Rethink Long-Term Care, Journal of the Catholic Health Association, Winter 2021
- Age Friendly - Aging Well at Home Through the Capable Program, Journal of the Catholic Health Association, Fall 2020
- Maintaining mobility and preventing disability are key to living independently as we age, National Institute of Health, November 2020
- Joe Biden cites CAPABLE as an innovative caregiving workforce program in speech, blog post, and campaign website. Forbes dives deeper into the CAPABLE cameo and the importance of the occupational therapy component, Fall 2020
- Home is Where the Health Is: CAPABLE's Impact on Combating Chronic Conditions, BlueCross BlueShield, May 2020
- NPR Story Profiling SCAN Health Plan in California, NPR Morning Edition, November 2019
- Keeping Seniors CAPABLE (Best viewed in Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browsers.) NPR Fresh Air, October 2019
- Aging-in-Place Program from Johns Hopkins on the Verge of ‘Exponential Growth’, Home Healthcare News, August 2019
- 3-Minute Case Study: Better Daily Living for Elders, AthenaHealth, July 2019
- CAPABLE (Community Aging in Place – Advancing Better Living for Elders), Rural Health Information Hub, July 2019
- 2018 and older
- Hillman Foundation Announces 2017 Innovation Grants, Hillman Foundation Blog Post, November 2017
- Improving Life for Elders—At Home, The American Journal of Nursing, October 2017
- Minor Adjustments Keep Seniors at Home Longer, Home Healthcare News, June 2017
- Our Patients Teach Us, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing: On the Pulse, June 2017
- Faculty from the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing Offer Expertise in Medicare, Medicaid Initiative, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing News, August 2016
- Innovative Model Focused on Function of Older Adults Shows Promise for Improving Lives and Reducing Healthcare Costs, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Center for Integrated Healthcare, February 2015
- Johns Hopkins Nursing School Faculty Receive Two of Four National Research Awards, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing News, October 2014
- CAPABLE program team helps Baltimore's elderly stay in homes, Johns Hopkins Magazine, Summer 2014
- Elders Get a CAPABLE Hand in Shoring Up Home Safety, PBS NewsHour, August 2013
- Interprofessional Team Helps Older Adults Age in Place Safely, OT Practice, September 2013
- Nurses, Handymen Make House Calls for Elderly, Associated Press July 2013
- Program helps seniors stay in homes longer, WBAL TV News, October 2013
- The Public Health Crisis that Overwhelms Families: One Family's Caregiving Story, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, November 2011
- Fixing Up Seniors' Homes to Help them Age in Place, NBC News, July 2013
- RWJF Scholar Pioneers Innovative Program to Help Low-Income Elderly Age at Home, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing On the Pulse April 2013
Podcasts AND WEBINARS
Humankind public radio produced a documentary on aging in community, highlighting stories of leaders who are making a difference. Dr. Sarah Szanton was featured to discuss CAPABLE and alternatives to nursing homes. Szanton’s interview begins at 8:28.
Help Choose Home (November 3, 2021)
CAPABLE's Director of Strategic Partnerships DrAlice Bonner explains the work she does with CAPABLE and how the program impacts the field of home care.
SOAP Notes (October 20, 2021)
In the season premiere of NaviHealth’s SOAP Notes with Dr. Jay LaBine, LaBine sat down with Dr. Alice Bonner, CAPABLE’s Director of Strategic Partnerships, to discuss aging in community, the CAPABLE program, and more.
Hopkins on the Hill webinar (June 10, 2021)
A discussion featuring Drs. Szanton and Keri Althoff examining how CAPABLE is helping provide support for our aging population around the country in reclaiming their abilities to care for themselves and participate in their communities.
See You Now: Owning your Age (May 27, 2021)
Nurse economist Shawna Butler interviews Dr. Szanton on how CAPABLE is promoting healthy aging and improving safety, independence, and ensuring dignity.
Grant Makers in Health (April 12, 2021)
This in-depth conversation explores efforts to create more resilient, equitable, and age-friendly communities, including the evidence-based CAPABLE model. Featured speakers included Dr. Szanton and Andrew Levack, Senior Program Officer at St. David’s Foundation.
TRADEOFFS (April 8, 2021)
The podcast Tradeoffs, which reports on complex health policy issues, discussed the implications of such an investment in the future of senior care, highlighting the CAPABLE program.
2019 Heinz Foundation Awardee Video
2019 Design Thinking for Health