Goals of the SON Research Restart Committee
1. Build on the work and forthcoming guidance at JHU level
2. Provide Review and approval of SON PI-led research protocols prior to re-start
Sabrina Scarborough, Associate Director, Campus Operations;
Nancy Glass, PhD, RN, Professor;
Phyllis Sharps, PhD, RN, Professor;
Sarah Szanton, PhD, RN, Professor;
Chao-Hsing Yeh, PhD, RN, Associate Professor;
Vinciya Pandian, PhD, CRNP, Associate Professor;
Martha Abshire, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor;
Sandra Panchalingam, PhD (Co-Chair);
Cheryl Himmelfarb, PhD, RN, Professor, Vice Dean for Research (Co-Chair).
To restart or start research at the SON a two-step process will be required. Applications for Step 1 and Step 2 can be submitted simultaneously. The application will be reviewed by the SON Research Restart Committee, and a decision on outcome of review will be sent via email to the principal investigator. If approved, this email from the SON Research Restart Committee can be printed as a pdf and uploaded into the JHMIRB application.
The following steps will be required to restart human participant research:
1. Submit a Human Participants Research Re-opening Plan for research staff to return to campus. This process is similar to the process that the lab research community is completing and requires that research teams submit a plan for staff to return to a safe work space when it is required to complete necessary research. This process applies only to non-clinical work spaces and is not required for staff working within clinical space. The SON Research Restart Committee will approve the plans. Approval is required before research staff can return to the proposed workspaces. Find submission details at the links below:
- Instructions and FAQ for the Human Participant Research Staff Form
- Human Participants Research Re-opening Plan: Survey Form
Indicate the School of Nursing as your department in question 1 to direct your plan to the SON Research Restart Committee for review.
2. Submit a Human Participants Research Protocol Restart Application to the SON Research Restart Committee for permission to restart research on a specific protocol. The highest priority will be given to PIs with therapeutic trials with potential for direct benefit to study participants conducted in Johns Hopkins clinical facilities where no standard of care options exist. The SON Research Restart Committee will approve that the research team has developed a plan that protects research staff, protects research participants and has a plan for coordinating with clinical and university resources. This Committee will review and provide required approval via email to restart both ongoing research and new studies. The email can be saved as a pdf and uploaded into the IRB application. Find submission details at the links below:
- Please click here for a copy of the questions to help you to prepare to submit your application.
- Human Participants Research Restart Application: Human Participants Research Protocol Restart Application
Indicate the School of Nursing as your department to direct your plan to the SON Research Restart Committee for review.
3. Once the SON Research Restart Committee has approved your study to move forward to the IRB, apply to the IRB for permission to restart human participants’ research. Applications to the IRB will not be accepted until protocols have received approval by a designated restart committee. The IRB must determine if any action is required related to changes to the conduct of the study that occurred during the COVID reduction period and will assess if all necessary changes to minimize research participant risk have been implemented. Additional information about the submission process to the IRB will be on the IRB’s website.