Resources compiled for this toolbox include information on pedagogy, curriculum guidelines, course design, teaching strategies, assessment methods, technology resources, simulation, education instruments and Certified Academic Nurse Educator.
- Learning TheoriesGeneral Learning Theories
Theories of Learning in Nursing Education hosted by Current Nursing
Adult learning theories: Implications for learning and teaching in medical education: AMEE Guide No. 83
Taylor, D. C., & Hamdy, H. (2013). Adult learning theories: Implications for learning and teaching in medical education: AMEE Guide No. 83. Medical Teacher, 35(11), e1561-e1572.
Dennick, R. (2012). Twelve tips for incorporating educational theory into teaching practices. Medical Teacher, 34(8), 618-624.
Torre, D. M., Daley, B. J., Sebastian, J. L., & Elnicki, D. M. (2006). Overview of current learning theories for medical educators. The American journal of medicine, 119(10), 903-907.
Cognitive Load Theory
Young, J. Q., Van Merrienboer, J., Durning, S., & Ten Cate, O. (2014). Cognitive load theory: Implications for medical education: AMEE guide no. 86. Medical teacher, 36(5), 371-384.
Yardley, S., Teunissen, P. W., & Dornan, T. (2012). Experiential learning: AMEE guide No. 63. Medical teacher, 34(2), e102-e115.
Problem Based Learning (PBL)
Bate, E., Hommes, J., Duvivier, R., & Taylor, D. C. (2014). Problem-based learning (PBL): Getting the most out of your students–Their roles and responsibilities: AMEE Guide No. 84. Medical teacher, 36(1), 1-12.
- Teaching and Technology Resources
BLACKBOARD Learning Management System
- Tips for Getting Started
- Logging in to Blackboard
- My Institution Dashboard
- Accessing your Courses
- Navigating the Course Environment
- Notifications Dashboard
- Making a Course Available (Video Demo)
- Adding JHU Users to a Course Site - including TAs (Video Demo)
- Merging Sections in Blackboard
- Adding Items to the Course Menu
- Adding a Syllabus to a Course Site (Video Demo)
- Adding Content to a Course Site
- Learning Module
- Uploading .zip files to Blackboard
- Dragging & dropping multiple files into Blackboard
- Content Collection Basics
- Adaptive Release
- Adding a Banner Image to the Home Page (Video Demo)
Communication and Collaboration Tools
- Announcements (Video Demo)
- Blogs - Helpful Hints
- Discussion Board
- Discussion Board - Helpful Hints
- Wikis - Helpful Hints
- Tests and Surveys
- Best Practices for Blackboard Assessment Creating - Instructors
- Best Practices for Blackboard Assessment Taking - Students
- Creating and Importing a Test in Microsoft Word
- Copying a Blackboard Test/Survey from One Course to Another
- Rubrics - Helpful Hints
- Feedback Studio (formerly known as GradeMark)
- Certified Academic Nurse Educator (CNE)
- Course Design
- Curriculum Guidelines, Standards, and Resources
- Baccalaureate Essentials for Professional Nursing Practice (2008)
- Baccalaureate Essentials Tool Kit (2009)
- Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing (2011)
- Master’s Essentials Tool Kit (not available)
- The Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice (2006)
- DNP Essentials Tool Kit (coming soon from AACN)
APRN Curriculum Standards and Guidelines
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Programs (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Competencies (2010)
- Core Practice Doctorate Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Competencies (2009)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Core Competencies Executive Summary (2006-2008)
- Criteria for the Evaluation of Clinical Nurse Specialist Master’s, Practice Doctorate, and Post-Graduate Certificate Educational Programs (2011)
- Nurse Practitioner Programs (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Competencies (2016)
- View 2010 Version
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Competencies (2012)
- Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs (2016)
- View 2002, 2008, 2012 Versions
- Curriculum Survey on Master’s Level Nurse Practitioner Programs (2001)
- Interprofessional Oral Health Faculty Tool Kit for Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and Midwifery Programs
- Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies Content (2014)
- Population-focused Nurse Practitioner Competencies (2013)
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Competencies (2013)
- Defining and Using Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing Skills in Undergraduate Nursing Education (2013)
APRN Education and Consensus Model (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
AACN Tool Kits (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice: Current Issues and Clarifying Recommendations (2015)
- The DNP by 2015: A Study of the Institutional, Political, and Professional Issues that Facilitate or Impede Establishing a Post-Baccalaureate Doctor of Nursing Practice Program (2014)
Population Health Nursing (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) (Ctrl+Click to follow link)
- Teaching Strategies (Coming Soon)Coming Soon
- Assessment Methods
NLN Simulation Innovation Resource Center
- Diversity and Inclusion (Coming Soon)Coming Soon
- Interprofessional Education and Practice
- AACN Interprofessional Education Resources
- Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: 2016 Update
- Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: 2011 Original
- Interprofessional Collaborative Practice Competencies
- Team-Based Competencies, Building a Shared Foundation for Education and Clinical Practice
- Advancing Interprofessional Clinical Prevention and Population Health Education
- Forms and Templates (Coming Soon)Coming Soon
- Flipped Classroom Resources7 Steps to Flipping with a Framework
How and Why to Flip your Classroom with VoiceThread
Translating Concepts to Practice
List of Online Activities
The Minute Paper
Peer Assisted Learning
SON Flipped | Active | Blended (FAB) Resources
SON Flipped Learning
SON Flipped Learning References
- Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, Brain Based LearningNeurobiology of Learning and Memory, Brain Based Learning, and Brain Targeted Teaching Strategies
Bellah, K. A., Robinson, J. S., Kaufman, E. K., Akers, C., Haase-Wittler, P., & Martindale, L. (2008). Brain-based learning: A synthesis of research. NACTA Journal, 52(2), 15.
Cahill, L., McGaugh, J. L., & Weinberger, N. M. (2001). The neurobiology of learning and memory: some reminders to remember. Trends in neurosciences, 24(10), 578-581. Cameron, H. A., & Glover, L. R. (2015). Adult neurogenesis: beyond learning and memory. Annual review of psychology, 66, 53-81.
Cuevas, J. (2015). Is learning styles-based instruction effective? A comprehensive analysis of recent research on learning styles. Theory and Research in Education, 13(3), 308-333.
Duman, B. (2010). The Effects of Brain-Based Learning on the Academic Achievement of Students with Different Learning Styles. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice, 10(4), 2077-2103.
Freeman, G. G., & Wash, P. D. (2013). You Can Lead Students to the Classroom, and You Can Make Them Think: Ten Brain-Based Strategies for College Teaching and Learning Success. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 24(3).
Hardiman, M. (2018). Brain-Targeted Teaching.
Hardiman, M. (2010). The brain-targeted teaching model: A comprehensive model for classroom instruction and school reform. New Horizons for Learning, 8(1).
Hardiman, M. M. (2001). Connecting brain research with dimensions of learning. Educational Leadership, 59(3), 52-55.
Hardiman, M., Rinne, L., Gregory, E., & Yarmolinskaya, J. (2012). Neuroethics, neuroeducation, and classroom teaching: Where the brain sciences meet pedagogy. Neuroethics, 5(2), 135-143.
Gozuyesil, E., & Dikici, A. (2014). The Effect of Brain Based Learning on Academic Achievement: A Meta-Analytical Study. Educational Sciences: Theory and Practice, 14(2), 642-648.
Jensen, E. (2008). Brain-based learning: The new paradigm of teaching. Corwin Press.
Jensen, E. (2007). Introduction to brain-compatible learning. Corwin Press.
Kahveci, A., & Ay, S. (2008). Different approaches-Common implications: Brain-based and constructivist learning from a paradigms and integral model perspective. Journal of Turkish Science Education, 5(3), 124-129.
Li, P., Chaby, L. E., Legault, J., & Braithwaite, V. A. (2015). Brain 3M--A New Approach to Learning about Brain, Behavior, and Cognition. International Association for Development of the Information Society.
Mahan, J. D., & Stein, D. S. (2014). Teaching adults—best practices that leverage the emerging understanding of the neurobiology of learning. Current problems in pediatric and adolescent health care, 44(6), 141-149. Wolf, O. T., Atsak, P., De Quervain, D. J., Roozendaal, B., & Wingenfeld, K. (2016). Stress and memory: a selective review on recent developments in the understanding of stress hormone effects on memory and their clinical relevance. Journal of neuroendocrinology, 28(8).
Viswanathan, V., Solomon, J., Unnikrishnan, V., & Hamilton, E. (2016). Improving Student Engagement in Engineering Classrooms: The First Step towards a Course Delivery Framework using Brain-based Learning Techniques. In ASEE Annual Conference.