Florence Nightingale's wheelchair, located on the fourth floor, is one of the many highlights of the Anne M. Pinkard Building. The world-famous nurse contracted an illness in Crimea in her mid-thirties and spent most of the last years of her life in this chair.
Despite her illness, Nightingale managed to found the first-ever school of nursing. Noted Hopkins physician Dr. Howard Kelly purchased the chair at an auction decades ago and presented it to the School of Nursing. Dr. Kelly also left the School a rich collection of rare books.
On the fifth floor is the desk that was used by M. Adelaide Nutting and chairs that once belonged to Isabel Hampton Robb—two of Hopkins' great nursing leaders.
A spectacular mural located on the fourth floor recognizes the school's contributions to community health nursing.
Painted by local artist Joanne Wasserman, the mural depicts the community program, formally known as the Leona Bowman Carpenter Community Health Nursing Center.
Mrs. Carpenter graduated from the school in 1939 and went on to become a public health nurse. She died in 1981, but her family continues to contribute generously to the School of Nursing.